CHRISTO & JEANNE CLAUDE(died November 18, 2009)
June 13, 1935-both born on the same day-different countries
Christo was born in Bulgaria and Jeanne Claude in Morocco.
Environmental works of art. They first met in Paris in l958.
CHRISTO WRAPPED CANS
DRAWINGS OF WRAPPED CANS
CHRISTO WRAPPED VW
CHRISTO DRAWING OF VW
WRAPPED PACKAGE IN RED WAGON DRAWING
WAGONS ARE USED FOR CARRYIN PACKAGES?
OPERA HOUSE IN AUSTRALIA (DRAWING)
(Reichstag in Berlin)
(Pont-Neuf bridge Paris)
THE RUNNING FENCE (Sonoma-Marin Counties)
WRAPPED ISLANDS FLORIDA KEYS
GATES FOR NOTHING COLORADO
THE GATES CENTRAL PARK NY
BEADE WRAPPED GOURDS-SANDRA VISTA
BEADED WRAPPED ALTOID BOX-SANDRA VISTA
WRAPPED PILL BOX-PINK THREAD-SANDRA VISTA
CHRISTO INFLUENCED WORK
"That could stay, not forever, because we believe that nothing exists that is forever, not even the dinosaurs, but if well maintained, it could remain for four to five thousand years. And that is definitely not forever."
1. One commentary about Christo's work is it's ephemeral qualities (lasting a very short time), how does the quote explain the "time" element in his work? (hint: think about the discovery of Egyptian mummies in relationship to Christo's work)
"The work of art is a scream of freedom." "Our work is a scream of freedom."
"The freedom of every artist is essential." "To keep absolute freedom we cannot be obliged to anyone."
2. Christo came from East Europe where freedom was at a premium. How would his need to maintain his personal freedom be a focal point in his work?
PLASTIC BAGS ON TREES
"It appears to be monumental only because it's art."
3. Christo makes us look at everyday objects in an amplified way? How do you react when you see plastic bags wrapped around tree branches? How will you view plastic bags after studying Christo's art?
"But the drawings are not created only to be sold."
4. Christo creates drawings and collages to begin the birth of an idea. These drawings are also part of the proposals to get permits for his work. What ideas do you think were the inspiration for the umbrellas? (The umbrellas series was installed in Los Angeles and in Tokyo)
5. What kind of experiences have you had with packages-gifts, online orders of clothing and practical things? Do you consider Christo materialistic or non-materialistic or something else?